DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)
Offices: Jacksonville & Orlando
(Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals)
There are many people who entered the United States without any lawful immigration status (what attorneys call "entry without inspection" or "ewi") when they were children and have integrated and assimilated into the American culture. However, they have no path to lawful permanent residence or naturalization. They must live in fear that ICE will deport them. They cannot obtain a driver's license or employment. But there may be a solution.
There is a deferred action program known as DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) that allows certain people who entered the United States without inspection to obtain a work permit and potentially a driver's license and the peace of mind that the government will not try to deport them while they have deferred action. Eligible candidates will receive an initial 2 year grant of deferred action and can seek renewals after that.
In order to qualify for DACA, you must meet the following requirements:
- must be at least 15 years old at the time of filing for DACA
- must have been under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012
- must have come to the United States before turning 16 years old
- must have continuously resided in the United States since June 15th, 2007
- must have been physically present in the United States on June 15th, 2007
- must be physically present in the United States when applying for DACA
- must have entered without inspection before June 15th, 2012 or lawful immigration status expired as of June 15th, 2012
- must be currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a GED, or have been honorably discharged from the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States, and
- must not have been convicted (as an adult) of a felony, significant misdemeanor, 3 or more other misdemeanors, and must not pose a threat to national security or public safety
We can help you obtain DACA. If you would like to set up a consultation about your eligibility for DACA, DACA renewal, or any other issues relating to DACA, please call Shorstein, Lasnetski & Gihon at 904-642-3332 (Jacksonville) or 407-228-2019 (Orlando).